View Single Post
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-21, 15:03

I wish I could help with the poetry selection, but I don't read much poetry.

I did want to say that my wife and I can empathize with your situation. Her father was an alcoholic who developed dementia as a result, and threatened to kill the whole family.

One of my close relatives has munchausen's by proxy syndrome. Needless to say, there aren't a lot of warm feelings there either.

My wife didn't have to say anything at her father's funeral, only the minister spoke, and he stuck to the facts - when and where he was born, got married, etc. I'm not sure what I'm going to say when my relative passes, which may be sooner than later. I feel like our culture expects us to canonize people once they're dead, even though they had such a negative impact on the lives of those closest to them. It's doubly perverse, I think, because they were cruelest to those who loved them most, and then those people are expected to pretend that none of it happened, and that they were a lovely person who will be missed.

Those are our feelings... just thought we'd share. We both wish you and your family all the best.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!