Thread: Word 98
View Single Post
MCSE+I-Turncoat

2007-03-03, 16:14

Its not a matter of running out of hard drive space at all. The amount of hard drive space an app takes up is very important in terms how fast it will load and even more important with regards to reloading. Hard discs have a cash of RAM. My current computer is three and a half years old. In the PC world that makes it basically obsolete yet it will open Word in .3 seconds. The cash on my hard drive is 8 MG with is larger than the amount of space the program takes up on the hard drive.

Because hard drives are approximately 100,000 times slower than RAM they are the main bottleneck on any computer. Today I can make a shortcut on the desktop to a word document and click on it forcing Word to open and open the document in .3 seconds.

Back in 1991 in college I used the university computer to open Word Perfect for DOS. After spending a minute or so to log in it took perhaps 2 minutes to get the word processor open. Then it took say 15 seconds to pull a small document up off a 3.5 in floppy. There were no shortcuts or any desktop to put them on. I would never consider closing a word processor until I had done all the word processing for that session as it took so long to open the thing.

Another example is Paint Shop Pro 3 vs. 8. Paint Sop Pro 3 occupies 3.51 MG and opens instantaneously. Version 8 takes 9 seconds and occupies 269 MG.

As far as the original issue goes I purchased a copy of Word 7 (from Office 95) for $10.00!

It’s been 12 years. When is Microsoft going to make a browser that works?