View Single Post
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-05-01, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I think I was reading that Mercury forms funnels that actually end up directing plasma from the Sun down to the planets service. Bad ass.
Unknown until Flyby 2, when there was serendipitous solar activity to highlight/trigger associated magnetosphere reactions. (Including aforementioned magnetic tornadoes to channel plasma to the surface and sputter the surface atoms off to form a unique atmospheric mix each day... which just sounds so awesome)

Magnetosphere much weaker than Earth, (not detectable from here, and barely detected during Flyby 1), but after 'triggering' by solar activity near Flyby 2, observed to be far more variable and sensitive.
Flyby 3 in October and final orbit in 2011 should improve the data significantly.

Proximity to CME and inverse square law for other forces makes for an interesting world to watch. Having the right robot observer in the right place at the right time has just been proven critical.

Combine this with STEREO Mission data (just passed L4 and L5 on their way around the Sun), and things are looking bright.

Still digesting most of the results, but thought they deserved sharing.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.