View Single Post
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-03-10, 02:55

How do amazing singers do what they do? I listened to this performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCbk...l%20jam%20live and was just utterly shocked at how outrageous Eddie Vedder's voice was/is in that live performance. What is it that happens to a person's vocal chords for them to be able to not only reach notes like that (or something ridiculous like Mariah Carey's octave control) and to sustain constant use of them? What separates their pipes from the average Joe's? It really fascinates me how a guy like Eddie Vedder came along, happened to be able to howl like he did, is artistic and just sort of was around at the right place and time to be able to show it off.

What's the secret to the singer?

I guess it's kind of like asking what's the secret to being tall - obviously it is genetic....but vocal chords can be looked at, specifically. In an age when we have shows like American Idol reaping amazing ratings, it'd be kind of fun to know if there is an inherent look that "good" vocal chords have that escapes the weaker voices.

Also, is it possible for people with weak voices to be able to strengthen and improve their voices to the point of becoming a singer? It's hard for me to imagine that it is possible, but I guess it could be? Interesting....to me anyway.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2006-03-10 at 03:00.