View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-29, 02:54

It's not every day (though it increasingly seems like every autumn) that Nintendo introduces a new DS, and in Tokyo they just announced the newest model. Essentially a larger DSi, the new model is dubbed "DSi LL" (think XL), which is appropriate because it's really f'ing huge. It trades the DSi's twin 3.25" displays (already slightly larger than the DS/DS lite's 3-inch screens) for 4.2 inch screens. That means that each of the screens are about the same size as the PSP's (not the go's) 4.3-inch monster (I believe that, due to the less wide aspect ratio, a DSi LL panel is actually larger in area). And there's two of them.

Needless to say, the DSi LL is pretty big. And...that's it. They made the stylus larger (it now looks like an actual pen) and increased the battery life (they have the room, why not?), but the bigger screens are the only major improvement, which is appropriate because this device will actually be sold alongside the DSi in Japan - it won't replace it, sort of like how the DSi hasn't replaced the DS lite here. (Confused yet?)

The screens - which are apparently some 93% bigger than the base DSi screens - are actually the exact same resolution as the regular DS/lite/i screens, at a rather low 256x192 pixels. So why bother? It turns out the DSi LL is actually aimed at, um, old people. Old people in Japan just lurve the DS for some reason, but the tiny screens can be hard on their eyes. That explains the more pen-like stylus, the more subdued color options (brown, maroon, and "natural white"), and the fact that it's about the size as a typical Japanese book - the DS can read e-books, you know, though I'm sure reading e-books on backlit 4.2-inch 256x192 screens is a great way to destroy what eyesight those users have left. Kidding aside, it's great that Nintendo is paying attention to its market's needs, and the DS is a popular enough device that niche offshoots can still have their place. No word on if the DSi LL (which would probably be rebadged "XL") will make it to America, but it should be available for importing on November 21.

via Kotaku

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong