View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-30, 01:13

Nintendo has confirmed that this DSi, predictably rebadged "XL," will be available in Europe and North America in Q1 2010, at an unspecified price point. Maybe they'll drop the price of the DSi and release the DSi XL at the old DSi price...

It really is astounding how little Nintendo has been able to change the DS hardware. The DS was introduced in 2004, five years ago next month, and all they've done to it since then was drop the price $20 (2005) and re-styled it too look as good as the Game Boy Advance SP did (2006). That's it. Put another way, they haven't adjusted the hardware at all since spring of 2006 - before even the Wii came out! They've added more colors, of course - the DS lite is actually no longer available in any of the colors it launched in, since those are DSi colors now - and they introduced the DSi (and DSi XL), but at a higher price point.

They are making bank with the DS hardware. I think the Peek probably has a faster processor, and it's $20.

They finally adjusted the price of the Wii (because they had to - the unstoppable Wii machine slowed down, finally), so maybe there's hope that they'll drop the price of the (even older) DS line-up. After the holiday season, of course, but we should see some nice DS(i?) bundles in the meantime.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong