Thread: 2016 Olympics
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-02, 12:14

I've said it before, but I'll say this again:

We (meaning the US) shouldn't try to host the Olympics for at least another decade.

First, we've hosted it eight times - three times more than the next country, France. So we should let others catch up a bit (everybody knows that Paris will get 2024, I mean come on) before trying again.

But there's also increased competition, as Rio sort of represents. They were the "dark horse" candidate, and they walked away with the Games - just like "dark horse" Atlanta did in 1996. (The parallels don't end there - the US hosted the 1996 Games after hosting the 1994 World Cup, and Brazil will host the 2016 Games after hosting the 2014 World Cup.)

I wouldn't try in 2020 or 2024, because again - it's basically guaranteed that South Africa and France will host those years. That's partially because France decided, after losing 2012, to regroup and wait out a few rounds before bidding again, and that will strengthen their bid, I think. We should do the same. But the soonest we could really have another actual chance at hosting would probably be 2028, for the Summer Games.

BUT - we could host the Winter Games sooner, in 2026. I think South Korea is going to (finally!) get them for 2018, their third attempt, to mark the 30th anniversary of their 1988 Summer Games. (Have you noticed how the IOC returns to Asia once a decade? 1988, 1998, 2008, ???) And Tokyo's failed 2016 bid will help their odds.

In 2022, I think it's going to go to New Zealand, for the first Winter Games held in the southern hemisphere. I think they'll get it just as soon as they ask for it, really. Adventure tourism is huge there and, again, I think the IOC wants to really increase the variety of host cities and host continents.

But in 2026, we would have a shot - a real shot. That's really the soonest I think we could be more than just a "dark horse" candidate again (let's be real, NYC was never really in the running in 2012). They could be hosted in Lake Placid, NY, making Lake Placid the third city to host the Olympics three times (assuming Paris gets it in 2024). 2026 is the 250th birthday of the USA and, on a more personal note for New Yorkers, it would mark 25 years since 9/11. So I think the timing is significant. (Especially if we make that Mars trip! )

The days of the US hosting the Olympics four times in 22 years are long gone, but I think the IOC will come back to us...after they hit South America, Africa, and maybe Oceania again. And that's as it should be - I wouldn't want us to monopolize the Games, more than we already have.

The way I see it, we could either keep on bidding in Olympics we don't really have a chance of hosting or we could regroup and wait until we actually have a decent shot, as Paris is so wisely doing. So, Lake Placid 2026!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong