View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 09:13

This is interesting. A foreign entity wants to force US manufacturers to move to USB-C because of e-waste. Cnet did a short article about it but this is the proposal from the Commission's site titled: Pulling the plug on consumer frustration and e-waste: Commission proposes a common charger for electronic devices
Quote:
With today's proposal for a revised Radio Equipment Directive, the charging port and fast charging technology will be harmonised: USB-C will become the standard port for all smartphones, tablets, cameras, headphones, portable speakers and handheld videogame consoles. In addition, the Commission proposes to unbundle the sale of chargers from the sale of electronic devices. This will improve consumers' convenience and reduce the environmental footprint associated with the production and disposal of chargers, thereby supporting the green and digital transitions.
While I personally think Apple should move to the USB-C standard (and think they already are doing so after most iPads moved to it), I think it is a bit of an over stretch to force companies to produce products their way. I mean, the logic of the bureaucrats is noble... if you only look at the surface of the proposal.

Anyway, I think this won't be a problem and will actually result in better battery life for our devices because the USB-C port is slightly larger than a lightning port. Hopefully that would mean slightly thicker phone with more space being filled with batteries.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.