View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-08, 06:20

I think we're more cautious than most, which is why we're more likely to judge certain behaviors as flagrant stupidity, and there is plenty of that for sure, I agree. That said, there may be a deeper problem, which is not exculpatory by any means, but some phenomena on the spectrum of "shoulda known better" that we don't always think about: those missing frames of reference. People think a wild animal is like a domesticated pet, or they know it's not, but having never interacted with the later, their instinctive reaction defaults to bear equals big dog. We live in a largely domesticated environment, throw in some trappings of civilization, like a car and a caravan of tourists, and it maybe becomes more understandable how someone could just as easily think "it's OK to get out just for a second" as they could "Lock the doors and roll up the windows for Chrissake!" The same way a forest is not a park, or the ocean is not a swimming pool, etc... A lot of us are missing that knowledge and early conditioning. We don't appreciate the world outside the built environment. We might know it's not the same, but years of conditioning mess with instincts/intuition that my grandparents would have taken for granted. Phones/instagram degrade that even further, as we downgrade our responses/conditioning from built environment to virtual environment. I don't know why I'm thinking about this today, maybe it's because people are stupid, including me, but I'm trying to be better.

Last edited by Matsu : 2021-10-08 at 06:37.