View Single Post
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-14, 19:57

This has been throughly discussed on the MacHeist boards. I think Phill's response is rather interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Ryu
Second, is it hurting developers as a whole, or perhaps just redistributing the wealth a bit? People who have been weighing in, including Gus Mueller of VoodooPad and Paul Kafasis of Rogue Amoeba, are sitting at the peak of the mountain, and are seeing potential customers springing for cheaper competitors looking for a better deal. I think people are buying more apps, and spending more on shareware, with a slight difference: they might be starting to buy more smaller apps, from lesser known developers on sites like MacZot, vs. paying in full for more "popular", well-known apps that don't require a zot for sales. In other words, things seem to be balancing out a little bit to me, and I don't see that as a negative thing. And of course, hell, if Gus and Paul are seeing their sales skyrocket, all the better.
Also, Ars asked Wil Shipley (Delicious Library -- a MacHeist app) about his participation in their recent interview:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Shipley
I think events like this get a lot of publicity, so they bring in new customers that I wouldn't reach on my own. So I'm not really sabotaging my sales; I'm supplementing them. Seriously, if you came to me and said, "I'm going to resell Delicious Library to customers on the moon, who you've never met and can't reach, for $1 a copy," I'd say, "Go for it!" I don't care if I only get a penny if it's a penny more than I would have gotten on my own.
The bottom line for me, as I expressed on those boards as well, is that as a relatively newcomer to the Mac world, MacHeist (and MyDreamApp for that matter) have exposed me to Mac share/donation/freeware that I never would have found on my own. I now look for it and throughly enjoy it. I had bought Delicious Library before I ever knew it was a bundle app because it's a great program and worth the price. IMO MacHeist is doing what Phill wanted it to do, gain exposure for the developer community as a whole and introduce people who might not have been in the market to the market. It worked for me.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter