View Single Post
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-03-24, 13:23

I started using Macs on a Mac 512k, booting from a floppy disk. I think I still have one of my System 4.2 disks lying around somewhere, from the "later years", i.e. the Mac SE days.

I've always been an early adopter, so I installed OS X 10.0 as soon as I got my hands on it. It really was a whole new world compared to OS 9. It was much more complex, and for a while I really lamented the loss of the ability to simply replace the System file with a fresh one if it got corrupted.

But then OS X system files didn't really seem to get corrupted like the OS 9 ones did. OS 9 was also a lot easier to troubleshoot, since the problem was always either an extension or a corrupted, easily-replaceable file. Looking into the OS X system folder was like:

"What is this? I don't even."

But despite being kind of slow at first, OS X has done me pretty well. It's so refined now that it's really enjoyable to use, though we do have a working OS 9 machine here in the studio, and sometimes I go back and play with it. It's pretty cool to see how far the Mac OS has come in the last 9 years.