View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 13:08

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609sept12event.html

I'm kinda embarrassed, because when the rumors of a September 12 event started, I said (on another board) that there was no way it would happen because Apple had just cancelled their Paris keynote on the same day. Anyone know why Apple doesn't want to have a keynote in Paris? The iTMS copy protection thing, perhaps?

Anyway, they echo AppleInsider's claim of new iMacs with Merom and a 23" model. They also say that it's rumored (but not confirmed) that the new iMacs will be VESA-mount compatible, which suggests at least a small redesign, in keeping with the annual iMac "generations." The iMac is the new iPod.

Speaking of the iPod, they claim that we'll see the 2G iPod nano, and it'll be aluminum and colored, like the iPod mini. Weird...but it'll scratch less, I suppose. (Remember that Amazon has strangely begun taking pre-orders for the iPod mini.)

The iPod will see a capacity bump to 40GB/80GB, but it's not looking like we'll see a proper "6G" iPod here - I'm not sure what else they can add to the iPod in its current form, anyway. The iTunes Movie Store will launch alongside the more capacious iPods. Yay!

As for the touchscreen "true video" iPod, they claim that it's been pushed back into "early next year." Maybe Apple will resume their tradition of announcing a new iPod at MWSF.

No mention of the iPod shuffle. Maybe the iPod nano will drop in price even further, and the shuffle will se a price drop? I'm not sure I can imagine a screenless player with much more than 1GB in space, anyway.

I have a question: If I got a MacBook after September 12, would I be eligible to get a discount on the new iPods, or the old ones? If you remember, last year, they didn't let you get the new iPod nano (introduced at the very end of the event) for free. But at the same time, it sounds like they're going to upgrade the entire iPod line on the 12th. Are they going to expect all their stores to continue to sell all the older iPods for four days?

I'm hoping the iPod nano launch was a special case. If Apple didn't want people to buy the new iPods with the promo, they could have just scheduled the event a week later, after all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong