View Single Post
datapusher

2006-09-04, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Actually, a 4" widescreen fits over the shape of the current iPod perfectly, and 4" would really be the smallest screen you could get on a "true" video player.

3" wouldn't be quite enough to differentiate it. The current iPod screen is what, 2.5"?

But all of your points make sense, even if you were an inch off. I'm in the touchscreen camp, too. People keep on making unnecessary (and un-Apple-ish) suggestions like "put the clickwheel on the back!" The clickwheel actually lends itself quite well to a touchscreen.

With a virtual clickwheel, the iPod could be exactly like a 5G iPod when oriented vertically, or it could function as a widescreen movie player when horizontal. It's an incredibly elegant design, and it would require no learning curve. So I'm not sure why people are coming up with suggestions like "lets not let users see their controls!" Honestly, even the worst designer knows better than that.
a virtual clickwheel would be nice, but i think i would be more comfortable with a hardware input than a virtual one. what if i need to reboot my ipod because it's frozen? i think that's the only hurdle i see with this touch screen, it's also the only reason why i would prefer a hardware clickwheel. other than that, bring on the touch screen!