View Single Post
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-24, 20:10

I don't think we can expect a PowerBook G5 at WWDC, though I can wish... I also see the point of argument that Apple may be looking into Centrino (bear with me for a minute). We all agree that IF Apple was to use established intel technology to run OS X, they would limit what it could run on, correct? Well, Centrino is not a processor, but rather a COMPLETE laptop architecture, from the PentiumM processor to the integrated wireless, to the PCIe and SATA. Pretty much all of the tech is set there for the developer to use without much variation, except for video chipset, screen, and a few other things. Now, most developers differentiate their tech quite a bit, but I could see Apple taking this integrated tech and running with it. By talking intel into including an AltiVec core into a PentiumM (long shot, but possible) they might be able to keep everything pretty integrated across the line. I think that at that point the G4/G5 difference and PentiumM/G5 difference would be similar. Just a thought, and I doubt it will happen. Would be VERY interesting though.

Another thought: Couldn't they just integrate an AltiVec chip seperately onto the board... kinda like the old math co-prossesors... Now that would be interesting. That would REALLY differentiate their product, to the point where they could keep the general populace from just installing OS X on just any intel Centrino machine...