Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-13, 16:34

Well, they've sort of moved iPods to a May/June update cycle, with the 16GB 5th gen replacing the 4th gen (May 2013) and then gaining a camera alongside price drops (June 2014).

At WWDC they said they've sold over 100 million iPod touches, which is nothing to sneeze at. They've been dropping the price instead of improving the specs because that's the best way to keep the line relevant — they're really aimed at kids, in a way that a contract iPhone usually can't be. That said, I'm expecting iPod touch updates in May, since iOS 9 will presumably drop support for the A5.

And maybe now that the iPod classic is gone, they can finally drop "touch" from the name and just call it the sixth-gen iPod.

Bringing this back on-topic, if they do keep refreshing the Apple Watch in spring, they'll have one big "personal device" launch each quarter, which is nice:

Apple Watch — March
iPod — June, or May when the update is "needed" before WWDC
iPhone — September
iPad — October

I think this is a nice arrangement, no? And Mac announcements could be sprinkled in as needed, since they only really need "stage time" when there's a redesign.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2014-09-13 at 16:56.