Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-13, 19:11

Random notes:

• The modern buckle may only be available in the 38mm size (at least, it's only included with 38 mm watches).

• The leather loop may only be available in the 42mm size (at least, it's only included with 42 mm watches).

• The sport band may be the cheapest band option, but Apple's apparently confident it won't feel too cheap: it's available with the Edition collection, and even includes a matching 18K gold clasp with this line. Gold and plastic, side by side...

• I'm impressed with how little regulatory garbage (FCC ID, UL and CE marks, &c.) appears to be included on the design, especially since there isn't a battery cover that all that minutiae can hide under. Earlier this year rumor had it that someone was pushing the FCC to allow those markings to be absent on devices that contained that same information in software, with the goal of allowing smaller devices.

• But: I think I've found one instance where, like the iPhone 5C's "hon"-gate, the design isn't quite as clean as it is in Apple's renders. On the picture of the rose gold Apple Watch Edition with white sport band on Apple's website, the disc of the clasp is free of any markings. However, at the very end of the "Design" video, the same side of the same clasp is quickly shown with an "18K" inscription, the Apple logo, and about four tiny markings I can't quite make out. Better on the band then on the watch, I suppose...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong