Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-17, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I'm in the "steel Apple Watch with sport band for $499" camp. Maybe $50 less for the smaller version? And $100 less than those prices for the Apple Watch Sport gets you down to that $349 starting price. I could maybe see ~$599 for the steel model, but I think Apple will want to hit that magic sub-$500 mark for their "mainstream" model, like they did with the iPad. (Remember, they even launched the iPhone with a $499 4GB model.)

I do expect the different bands to bump the price up significantly, so you'll have a nice range. And for the Edition models, the sky's the limit. Four digits at least.

I'm personally planning on shelling out $500 for a steel Apple Watch with white sport band, and then an extra ~$100 for the classic leather (of course ) buckle or ~$150 for the modern buckle, depending on whether the modern buckle is available for whichever size I decide on. (I'll buy the leather band separate because I want the white sport band too.) I'm expecting the Milanese loop and link bracelet to be more expensive but I have little interest in those, though the link bracelet is super impressive.

And I was planning on a March release, but now that I think about it I think Apple will really want to have these out in time for Valentine's day.

I'm guessing Apple's going to be careful with how they roll these out to other retailers, too. Will we see (non-gold) Apple Watches at Walmarts? Would that make the Edition less desirable?
They might keep the Edition or super nice, expensive stuff online and the Apple Stores? Where they can fully control the vibe or presentation? I don't know...this is all so different than anything they've done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Yeah, and speaking of which: how are they even going to sell the Editions? Several thousand dollars worth of gold in convenient ingot size? Can't see putting those out on the demo stands in the stores. And the people who are in the market for these things aren't going to want to wait at the genius bar while some kids finds one in the back, are they?

My guess: Apple will work with purveyors of fine time pieces and sell the Editions exclusively through those channels.
Yeah, that's a possibility too on those particular models. I don't think we're going to see the gold ones at your standard retail/electronics stores (theft, image, vibe, etc. will probably all factor in). Of course all of them are theft-worthy, but the gold (if it's in the four-figures), certainly will be. It's 18k solid gold, Gruber says. That's some real money!

And I'm not trying to broad-brush here, but...well, at the two Walmart stores closest to me, they damn well better put the Edition under about 8" of Plexiglass with a cannon guarding it. The phrase "low-rent shithole, full of people auditioning for guest roles on Cops" springs to mind. Every time I go there, there's a police car outside, and the officer is inside talking to someone (customer, employee, manager, etc.). You put those things into Walmart at your own risk, Apple.