Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-02, 19:11

Since Paul kinda asked for compelling reasons so I'll try to put mine here for why I plan to get one.

I used to be a watch guy until I was on a ship and it became a problem. This was followed by always having a pager/phone on me with a clock on it. Fast forward to now and I have been looking for a watch for a long time. Nothing jumped out to me until this phone was presented.

Currently I have to pull my phone out of my pocket to read the time. I would rather not just to read the time. Same for checking my schedule or even messages. This watch would let me leave the phone in my pocket. I can also check the schedule and even interact with Siri for dictation stuff without needing to touch my phone. If I had an iPhone 6+ I would really want something like this for when on the go.

I am currently using a 5S with no plans to upgrade at this point so the Watch should allow me to use Pay without feeling like I would miss out. My bank is even one of the banks that will support it by the time it launches.

I use a Fitbit Ultra for tracking my daily life since I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. The alerts to get me off my butt every hour and replace my aging Ultra are well welcomed. It also would tie natively into Health app on the phone too. At a guy who goes to the gym three times a week and is sitting at a desk all others, these tools help me not notice how much time has passed since I actually did *something*.

The interaction where you can "tap" and send drawings to someone really appeals to my wife and I as a means to communicate through our day. We normally message through Messages most of the time or my Jabber server, but this would add a new element.

I do like the design though I wouldn't mind it being thinner. I don't normally wear long sleeve shirts so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

At this point everything it was talked about doing for you on stage is exactly what I was looking for from a smart watch. Sure this isn't going to be for everyone, it however is a great fit for me and my wife. Heck, she even really likes it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.