View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-01, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I'm going to throw a random thought out here, but if these things are real and the price is not over $1k, the iMac is dead. Why? People buy iMac's for the display more than anything (semi-power users who get quad core i7 models aside). If anything it could see the rise of the Mac Mini as a more usable semi-power user machine, if Apple is willing to put the right guts into them.
Nope. By the time the Mini is thrown in there, you will get more iMac computer for the money than the Mini is going to deliver.

As of right now:

Quad i5 27" iMac / 8GB / 1TB / with wireless keyboard and mouse - $1799

Dual i5 Mac Mini / 8GB / 1TB / with wireless keyboard and mouse - $1876

People who buy Mini's don't buy them with Apple monitors. In the vast majority of cases, Mini's go to budget buyers. A fancy new [expensive] display won't change that. More likely is the professional photographers, videographers, and graphic designers will have a hard look at MacBook Pros and a new display. That will have a far greater impact on iMacs than the Mini.

The Mini has never had an appreciable impact on iMac sales, regardless of what display tech it was served alongside. Even back in 2012 when the Thunderbolt Display was brand new, cutting edge, and marketed alongside the quad i7 Mini, it had zero impact. The same money has always bought way more iMac than Mac Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
except the GPU will eventually fall behind, leaving you with a very valuable screen but outdated graphics power.
Well, that's always been the case with Macs, so nothing really changes.

I do like the idea of a drive being built in there as well. That would sell!

So, how about this:

27" 5k Retina Display w/2GB GPU - $999
27" 5k Retina Display w/4GB GPU and 512GB Flash - $1499
27" 5k Retina Display w/8GB GPU and 1TB Flash - $1999

Think about option #3 with a quad i7 13" Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and 256GB flash at around $1799. In other words, for the same price as a rocked-out 27" iMac, you get almost the same thing, but portability. One cable connects the whole kit together, power, video and data.

Yep, I'm dreaming.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)