View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-07-10, 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I make the statement more based on value for the customer. The previous non-Touch Bar model was a poor value next to a 2018 MacBook Air.
Well, yes and no.

It (bizarrely — and it appears temporarily) lacked some features like Touch ID, but its CPU was better (especially at multi-core), as was its GPU.

But… it had a really odd place in the line-up. Like PKIDelirium said, I'm glad the confused line-up is done.

Quote:
Gaining the Touch Bar and Touch ID adds some value,
The Air has Touch ID, mind you. Which was crazy. You upgrade from the Air to the Pro and lose Touch ID?

(To be fair, that discrepancy only existed for less than a year.)

Quote:
but there is still the "big difference" between a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. Not sure those first two things are worth $200, although I suspect they will sell a lot of computers.
It'll be interesting to see the new benchmarks, especially seeing that this CPU part is unannounced.

Once again, a picture emerges where, depending on how you look at it, either Intel screwed Apple, or Apple unduly had high expectations from Intel. They expected Iris Pro to continue on the 45W H-series (nope), the 5W Y-series path for the 12-inch MacBook to be viable (nope), the 15W U-series to have Iris Plus (missed two entire generations! and is apparently only now coming back), and of course more generally for Intel to reach 10nm, which would've helped with a lot of the previous assumptions.

As much as I'm wary of the speculated ARM move, I can't really blame Apple for keeping its options open.

(And while AMD Ryzen is interesting on the desktop and server, it doesn't seem to scale that well to mobile.)