Thread: Late '12 iMac
View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-10-23, 13:31

This is a deeply troubling product update that completely puts needless form over function.... and the tradeoffs were not worth it.

Thinness

it doesn't matter on this product. As long as this computer is supported by an 8" deep stand, the product's true thickness will be 8". This is Apple's idea of innovation? Making a desktop 5mm thin on edge? And removing features, making it more expensive, and moving certain things like the SD Card slot to less user friendly positions? It's simply silly. I'm sure a lot of effort and R/D went into making this thinner and it may be a beautiful design, but it is not a SMART design.

Price

The entry level $1299 model is great. Good value, and it has been for some time now. I wish they could get it lower, but hey, it's Apple.

The 27" iMac jumping to $1799 is awful. $100 more and you lose the optical drive and pretty much have the same computer from 475 days ago (oh, 4GB more RAM which should have been done 475 days ago). But it's thinner!

Ports/SD Card Slot

The SD card slot has been moved to the back of the machine.... it was bad enough that the ports were on the back of the iMac... a constant complaint from users and definitely a case of form over function. Now the SD card slot that had been located somewhat conveniently on the side (I say somewhat because there was no way to know its location from looking at the machine head-on) is also located on the back. This is entirely due to Apple making this needlessly 5mm thin on edge. I use my desktop by sitting in front of it, and it stays at my desk. As far as I can tell my desktop when I am using it is just a screen. What is behind it or how thick it is doesn't matter. Again, the stand makes this 8" thick... and looking head on, as everyone who uses a computer does, the thinness will never be observed or more importantly... used!

Fusion Drive

Hell Phil... talk about this new Fusion drive for 5 minutes and how amazing and next generation it is and then announce the 2 standard configurations that don't include it, and don't even discuss the BTO option. Genius!

next generation?

We are suppose to think this is the fruit of Apple reevaluating the iMac and redesigning it from the ground up? The best they could do was thin. This is not innovation.

And after 475 days... it's not even available now. November.... supposedly.

Last edited by Brave Ulysses : 2012-10-23 at 13:41.