Thread: Late '12 iMac
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-23, 14:37

Well if I get one, I suppose I'd step up a bit and get that Fusion drive. After watching the keynote and seeing how it works, I'd kinda get the SSD snappiness I've come to love from messing around with friends' MacBook Airs, and then there's 1TB of storage. I'll never fill it, but it's there and, to me, seems like an acceptable compromise...flash performance and reasonable real-world storage. That should please most people, I would think.

No idea how much it's going to cost, so it's hard to get too excited just yet.

I should know a few more things in a couple of months, regarding some travel and additional work at plant outages. My decision might be made for me (I may upgrade this current iMac to a MacBook Air if it's looking like I'll be gone for any significant chunk of 2013). But, if not, and I can stay local, I guess I'll look into that second-tier 21.5" (that's a nice size/resolution for me, and a step up from the 20" 1680x1050 display I've used for four-plus years).

Kinda worried about that Fusion pricing though. Is it not available anywhere yet? I don't see it at Apple's site. That kinda makes me go "uh-oh...".

I do hate how they cripple the 21.5" (again). It never has the BTO choices the 27" has. Some of that could be physical/technological, but you know damn well some of it is "up-sell". What if I don't want the 27", though? Oh well...

The drop to 5400rpm was a shock. See, stuff like that...I consider trade-offs of "not the good kind". I was dead-set against any kind of traditional hard drive on my next Mac, after four-plus years of the same one, so even a 7200rpm drive was a no-go. I'm sure as shit not going to drop backwards, down to an MacBook or Mac mini-like 5400rpm.

Weird. Things like that kinda make decisions for you.