Thread: Pets v.2
View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-07-23, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I just can't wait for a rainy day and she rolls in the mud, and you post a pic of you and kristie all dirty since she would shake and the mud would fling on to you. If it takes you 1 hour to shower(just guessing), i say it will be 3 hours it will take to clean her coat.
Heh. I know it looks like she'd take constant grooming, but *exactly* the opposite was true.

She'd get muddy, or while we were camping she'd lie down in old campfire ashes and get all grey. But the mud would dry, and like the ashes, would just fall off her coat without any attention from me whatsoever. It was miraculous, honestly. It has to do with the fact that there are actually two coats - an outer "guard" coat of coarser hairs protects the undercoat which is incredibly soft fluff. Dirt would fall right off the outer coat, and would never get down to the inner fluff. Believe me. I took her camping and to the beach for many years.

I took her to the groomer's two or three times a year. I might have taken her more often, but she *really* hated it. Her coat always looked fluffy and white like that without my ever lifting a hand. She never required daily brushing, etc. She was an extremely hardy, brave and adventurous dog; not at *all* prissy and needing constant care as she might look. Completely the opposite. I would never have a dog that required daily grooming. Not in a million years. I believe Samoyeds are classified as working dogs, and are built for the hard work of pulling heavily-loaded sleds through snow.

She was a magnificent creature: happy, pure of heart, honorable and dignified. She was also *great* fun and loved to explore just like I do. I admired and respected her more than 99% of the humans I know.