View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-21, 21:51

I'm getting my 90 year old mom to watch the Marvel films, in order.

On Sunday night we started up on Age of Ultron, admittedly not one of the most fun episodes.

So about halfway through she got sleepy and we picked up where we left off on Monday Night.

A thunderstorm moved in as the film reached the main action of the third app.

Suddenly, Thor dropped a lightning bolt onto our patio, right behind where we were sitting.

Once I finished shouting I began evaluating what had been damaged.

The router could not connect to the internet, I had to reset a breaker for a dead power outlet, and the little television we'd been watching would not power up.

2 days later the tech arrived and spent several hours tracking down the problem, which turned out to be in a box at the telephone pole and a box on the side of the house.

In addition to the tabletop Sony television the destruction included a 5 port network switch, a larger switch in another part of the house, a 3-way HDMI splitter, and one of the DVR units in the cable system.

The great news is that the technician (Tim) was a rock star - polite, informative, diligent with sorting out the problem, helpful in moving us from a vintage modem to something more modern, and ensuring that things were set properly in the box up the road.

I feel that we got lucky with the limited damage incurred from the strike, but am now interested in reviewing all of my surge protection, and need to figure out the best way to cover data cable inputs as well, since that's an obvious route of ingress for a surge

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter