View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-29, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
From a wiring perspective I finally understood that there's no way to ground the signal wires coming in from the street. We have an AT&T product that comes in through the fricking twisted pair, not coaxial cable.

Can't mess with that before it gets to the gateway unit, for fear of borking the signal.
Yup, any surge protector that I know of that has RJ-11 jacks for protecting POTS phones will strip the high frequencies off, wiping out your connection. Best you can do is the voltage dump approach I mentioned - it doesn't intercept the wire or filter the signal, but it provides a sweet, sweet massive ground juuuuuuuuust outside that wee bit o' flimsy insulation, and just before it enters your home. If the voltage spikes high enough, with some luck it'll flail around and find that ground to earth before it finds the ground *through* your equipment.

Quote:
The fact that EVERY network switch in the house got zapped tells me that I need to install an APC power strip with built-in surge arrestor with Ethernet ports in every location with a switch, just ahead of the switch.

Is this the wrong walkaway?

It's not WRONG, just make sure that they're actually made for voltage protection of networking equipment, and if so, rated for the speeds you're going to be using. Generally speaking, the higher the data rate, the higher the frequency, and those are the ones that get filtered out most easily.