View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-11-17, 21:07

My iPhone X updated last night.

I’m on iOS 15.1 - jumped from 14.x I guess.

As a customer who maintained stock Apple apps, I’m pleased with the updates to a few of their apps:

Calendar - I am extremely happy with better date/time input on event creation. I live by Calendar and the prior iteration was frustrating on so many levels. I wish I had taken screenshots and pointed out the areas for improvement, like a usability report, but I felt there were more important issues to rant about/focus on last year.
Weather - To a large degree I was happy with the stock offering from Apple (I’m not an avid Weather checker like my wife and daughter) but the visual range of temperatures, cleaner segmentation, and added details (for those who care) make this an excellent update.
Maps - I have stuck with Apple Maps since it launched. Like Weather, it met my basic needs well enough. I’m glad to see Apple keep iterating and improving the experience. I’m not sure how “far behind” Apple Maps is in comparison to other map apps, but this is a good update in terms of legibility and map styles.
Safari - I don’t mind the controls at the bottom of the screen. I watched from the sidelines as the UI was refined during the beta period… so I can’t comment on the initial experience. After one morning of use, I’m content with the updates to Safari. They do not rub me the wrong way, but neither do they bring me the same degree of joy as the updates to Calendar, Weather, and Maps have.

Update: I have just experienced one aspect that is jarring… controls for the “nova” are at the top of the page, but Safari controls are at the bottom. If I look for today’s posts, and there is nothing new to see, then I usually change tabs or enter a different address in the url field… which used to be up top. Now those controls are not there anymore. From a browsing perspective on the iPhone, this is not an issue: all controls are fixed at bottom of screen. However, when I interact on a site (with controls located top of page) then this creates two distinct areas of interaction and I have to mentally and physically reorient myself to progress the next task. Not a big deal, but something I noticed.
—-

Finally, is it just my pedantic self, or do others wish iOS was labelled iPhone OS… I mean what other iDevice uses this OS?

We have:
  • macOS
  • iOS
  • iPadOS
  • tvOS
  • watchOS

iOS strikes me as the outlier in this group.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2021-11-17 at 23:53. Reason: Added an update to Safari comment