View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-29, 09:21

**Apple/Tech News**

Apple Still Working on AirPower-Like Charger, Also Long-Range Wireless Charging and Reverse Charging

...according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

A few things, from someone who admittedly doesn't understand much of all this. Just general thoughts/questions...

1) What is taking Apple so long to put out such a device, when many other outfits have done so for quite some time? Are they trying to do too much (charging many devices at once, vs. just saying "hey, it can do 1-2...schedule/plan your charging a bit, nerds"

2) Is/will this type of charging ever be as efficient as the traditional wired kind? I ask only because Apple tends to blow itself on its green/environmental initiatives and stances to such a degree, but this wireless stuff seems like a bit of a waste in comparison to just plugging in a cord

3) Are they chasing something for first-world convenience points (because "everyone" now allegedly has an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and AirPods?) and can't be bothered with the above staggered charging? Is Apple chasing a unicorn nobody is really asking for, or are they just having to spend a bit more time "thinking different" on a solution?

As someone with a steam-powered 1840's era iPhone - and no watch, iPad or AirPods - I fully realize I'm not the ideal barometer/test case on this stuff. My personal DGAF is quite high on all this, however one day we'll all be on wireless-charging-capable stuff - even me - and the idea of plugging in a Lightning cable will seem as funny and dated as SCSI usage *shudder*

Could Apple help themselves out and scale back their ambitions a bit - "you can charge one device, very efficiently". But then what explains some of those others products I've seen that actually charge a phone, watch and wireless earbuds (and at a decidedly non-Apple price)?

What are they able to figure out/implement that Apple, of all people, hasn't? Or are these things known to be hyper-inefficient, unreliable house-burning-down dice-rolls?

I realize Apple could probably do something like above (and sell it for $179).