View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-06, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
However, I feel an essential component of watching a film is "suspension of disbelief" Turning off your inner critique, I mean if you didn't want engaged escapism, why did you go to the movie?
Well, no kidding. Naren, we're talking about two very different things here. When I go into movies, I totally believe a man can fly, somebody might dress up like a bat to fight crime, there are swords made out of light beams, etc. I don't have a problem doing that.

A "suspension of disbelief" has nothing to do with encountering an unwatchable hunk of doo-doo. When all the basics and foundation are such f***ed up that you CAN'T get to the "belief suspension" part.

No amount of "sitting back and going with it" can save some of these turds, because they're written and acted in such a way that it's just impossible to "give in to the moment". Make sense?

I've got no problem "suspending" anything when I go to a movie...but it's gotta be worth it. I can't sit there, slapping my head and groaning to myself, and somehow improve it, you know?

Two different things. Suspension of disbelief doesn't - or can't - rescue or improve something that's a complete piece of crap to begin with.

Otherwise, I can sit there and believe ANYTHING, done right. I don't have a problem "letting go" and so forth. I LOVE movies. Good ones.