View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-06-28, 16:05

So we need some patio repairs (resetting brick pavers, some minor cement work on a stoop) and a very minor extension (like 18" worth maybe), that I'm not qualified to handle myself because i don't have a diamond blade brick saw and fun stuff like that. When we had our fence put in, of course that borders other people's property and so you don't take any chances there, making sure all the village takes the plat out there, checks the lines, gives you a permit. However I discovered even for replacing an old patio on the exact same spot, they want 2% of the cost of the project for a fee. Sorry but fuck that. Because of scheduling it's at least a couple months away but my question is, has anyone ever skipped on a village permit for a small home improvement job that didn't involve knocking out walls, fire codes, etc... and then get caught? If so curious as to what they can do. Just charge you the same fee anyway? Take you to the slammer? I feel this is a good opportunity for me to fail in my civic duties and save a couple hundred bucks on the village and the contractor who wants to "take care of it all" for another $50.

Not like I'm evading income taxes. I can also feign ignorance ("But but but... it's the same damn materials being put on the same spot on my property. I never dreamed I would need a permit for THAT! Can I offer you an authentic S. African Vuvuzela as a token of my contrition? ")

...into the light of a dark black night.