View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-07, 17:33

It was far worse before MS added drag and drop functionality with Windows XP. Before that, you had to right click, choose properties, click the "Start Menu Programs" button, and THEN you could customize it. Much like having to go into the "Apple Menu Items" folder in order to customize the old Apple menu in OS 9.

The Start menu is still pretty bad, mainly in how the "programs" in it are neither aliases (shortcuts in Windows-speak) nor the actual program itself, but rather a "launcher" program put there by the installer. It really confuses me. On the other hand, it is nice that you can reorganize it without messing things up. I really wish you could do that with the Applications folder in OS X. I have my Apps folder in the dock, but you're not allowed to sort things otherwise Software Update doesn't work. No word on whether this is fixed in Tiger, but I'm assuming it's not because I don't think Apple sees this as a problem. Even though it is. I guess Spotlight might change things because you won't even need to go hunting for a program, just type in the name and BOOM there it is.