View Single Post
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-09-07, 08:36

yes i cheaped out on the ram, but he had a 256 module and i didn't know if that older PM liked matched ram or not...as for how many slots for ram it has, system profile says 4 slots, but i only see three...will likely tell him to get a 512 module for that slot if i don't need matched ram...

i think the processor upgrade is next as iDVD says it required at least a 766 mHz G4 to run...

and nobody has mentioned a graphics card update...the rage 128 pro seems old...with only 16 mb...but then he isn't a game player, so perhaps that is ok

before we started upgrading i mentioned that he should ebay this system and get an eMac (all he would need for what he does)...but he spent lots of money getting a PM with an apple flat screen monitor just so he can upgrade and "stay" current...except that he doesn't know anything about computers and he doesn't understand that he can't "stay current" really with an older system (can he put a G5 in there? no)...and for the price he spent and will spent to keep up, he could just buy a new eMac every three years...anyways

ram, so far....60 bucks
superdrive....80 bucks

next processor...240 bucks
more ram...approx? 90 bucks?
2nd HD....60 bucks?

so 500 plus bucks...he could have eBayed his system and monitor and spent less to get a new eMac...oh well, some people just want towers for some odd reason

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough