View Single Post
Shades of Blue

2006-11-05, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I've also got to say that I was standing line in front of someone who said "I'm going to vote straight party republican as long as Nifong isn't a republican". Straight party voting needs to get thrown out the window. Anyway, she had as much say over this vote as I did, which is scary in some ways, but very nice in others. If our votes are actually counted...
I can understand straight line party voting, though. If your opinions on the issues that you care predominantly about ("your voting issues") coincide mostly with the general philosophy of one of the parties, then it makes sense to vote for that party's candidates. When I vote, I'm voting for issues, not personalities.

It's too bad if people use party as an excuse not to find out anything about the candidates (because sometimes they disagree with the party on the issues you care about), but I'd rather have people voting for a general party philosophy than voting because one of the candidates had an affair or said something bad about somebody into a microphone 25 years ago, or something.