View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-05, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The downside would be: even on this very high end, you'd be constrained in your RAM choices by the very specific amount you got when you ordered it. Plus, it won't be a lot. The current Mac Pro goes up to 1.5 TB RAM (yes, that's 1536 Gigabytes). This setup would "only" go to 256 GB.

On the other hand, it would lead to astounding performance levels, assuming your code (just as before with the iMac Pro and Mac Pro) can take advantage of heavy parallelization. The M1 Extreme would have a memory bandwidth of 800 GB/s, and the Ultimate of 1,600 GB/s, simply because what they'd do is double the memory chips again.

And for the same reason, such a Mac with an M1 Extreme would have up to 20 CPU cores and up to 64 GPU cores, and a Mac with an M1 Ultimate with the cited up to 40 CPU cores and up to 128 GPU cores. It's simply four M1s Max in a 2x2 grid.
No matter how you stack it, if we compare the current M1Pro and M1Max performance numbers, the M1E and M1U will be game-changers at the high end of the personal computing industry. Intel will never be able to catch up, and neither will AMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
There was the A14 and soon after the M1, then a year later, there were the M1 Pro and M1 Max, and now, some time next year, we might see the M1 Extreme and M1 Ultimate. (I don't think Apple would actually use "Ultimate", but I also can't think of a less stupid adjective. "M1 Blowaway"? "M1 Offthecharts"?)
Why don't we just call it the M1

I had been predicting M1x and M1xX as naming conventions, with M1X Pro in pro machines. I guess I kinda got some of that correct. I should probably sue?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)