View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-23, 19:38

I would absolutely die if I had something like that on my wall. I'd never need TV.

I love timelines, graphs, infographics, etc. Anything like that will hold my attention for a really long time.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Way back in the mid-90's I worked at a small county newspaper in Northern Virginia. I was on the advertising art staff, doing layouts in QuarkXPress (and teaching the others there how to use it because they were coming off some weirdo, proprietary ad-creation software that everyone hated). But I also knew Photoshop and Illustrator and, over time, finagled/talked my way over to the editorial side of things and wound up being the "second-go-to" editorial artist as well...I'd literally, in the course of a shift, build auto dealer ads on one side of the building, then walk over and sit at Illustrator and/or Photoshop to do editorial art, infographics, charts, diagrams, cutaway drawings, etc.

An editor or reporter (news, sports, local stuff, etc.) would come to me with a napkin sketch/rough idea and a general size and say "can you make this look like something by 4pm-ish?" (and it would be about 3:25 ). I drew building floorpans, flags, a basketball court, the inside of an air filter, little icons for the various columnists, how storm clouds formed, I-95 traffic patterns, timelines, icons/symbols, cutaways/technical illustrations, etc.

I was in heaven/my element at those times, and always came through. You learn all the shortcuts/workarounds/streamlining when there's a daily deadline to press! I learned so much about Adobe Illustrator in those 12-16 months...total trial by fire. If I didn't know it, I'd make it up/figure out a way. I loved that period/job.