View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-13, 06:14

In what is a world first, Victorian police have officially begun their "random drug testing" of motorists. Sort of like random breath testing to determine if you are over the BAC limit (.05 in this state - differs in other states) except they are testing for THC* and methamphetamines.

There go the post gig tokes I used to enjoy every now and then. :shrugs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Age
Roadside drug tests strike early

December 13, 2004 - 5:32PM

The world's first roadside random drug testing facility took just 15 minutes to detect its first alleged drugged driver in Melbourne today.

But he was the only person to test positive out of 32 people stopped by police.

Assistant Commissioner Bob Hastings said police did not know what to expect when they began testing in Yarraville, in Melbourne's inner-west.

''We turned out here this morning with the expectation of not quite knowing what to expect really, and it was surprising that so early we got some driver who tested positive,'' he told reporters.

''We will crank this up as we move towards Christmas and focus on those areas where we believe there's high usage of illicit drugs.''

The test detects THC, - the active component in marijuana - and methamphetamines, or speed, in saliva.

Drivers give a sample by touching their tongue on an absorbent collector and results develop in five minutes.

Police plan to test 9,000 Victorian motorists in the next 12 months and will target truck routes and rave party precincts.

Today, preliminary tests on a man returned positive results to methamphetamines.

The van driver, who was tested about 11.15am, was the fourth person tested after the roadside station opened at 11am.

He returned positive results to both a saliva swab and a second, more detailed test, in a police van.

The sample will be sent for laboratory analysis, which will take*
14 days.

No infringement notice will be issued until the results of the comprehensive laboratory test are available.

A second man today returned a positive sample to speed at the roadside test, but an analysis in the police van was negative.

Motorists had generally positive reactions to the new testing stations.
John Riani, of Melbourne, was unruffled about the delay when he was pulled over.

''It's only five minutes mate, not a problem,'' he said.

Vivian Buiatti, of Laverton in south-west Melbourne, said five minutes was a bit of a wait if someone was in a hurry, ''but otherwise you know, it's not bad, it's all right''.

Commissioner Hastings said a decision on whether the testing technology would be expanded to other Victoria Police vehicles would be made after this program was evaluated.

''We've changed the attitude and the culture of the community towards drink driving, I think we are now starting to move that way with drug-driving - and they are both as dangerous as one another,'' he said.

''The penalties we've started off at the moment are comparable to drink driving and given it's a first we had to set a rate that we thought was fair.

''I think once the program is evaluated then it will be up to all those involved in road safety and government to make a decision as to whether the penalties need to be increased.''

Drivers who return a positive sample to preliminary tests would be provided with a sample, which they can have independently analysed, a Victoria Police spokesman said.

If the final laboratory test results are positive, a traffic infringement, $300 fine and three demerit points are issued.

If the matter is contested in court, there is a possible $600 fine, and up to six months licence cancellation where a conviction is recorded.

- AAP*
* THC - I used to jam in an improv/groove band with a friend of mine and some of his mates. :smokey: Anyway, this friend (a DJ) still lived in his family home and his mother would always cook a hearty Italian meal for the band. Her name was Tina, so we named the band THC for Tina's Home Cookin'. Of course, for some reason we were always hungry, but that was purely coincidental.

All I want is a simple life
twitter