View Single Post
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-13, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
And there's a problem with this?

I don't think there's any problem with random drug/alcohol checks on the road. Like Barto said, as long as the test is fairly accurate, it can help to save lives and money.

In 2003 in the US, 14,630 traffic fatalities were linked to alcohol consumption. As far as I can tell, drug use hasn't been tracked like alcohol, but who is to say that some of those or a few more weren't involved with marijuana or some other mood/mind-altering drug?

Wow, compared to over 400,000 tobacco deaths each year drinking and driving seems like a minor nuisance.

On a serious note, whatever happened to probable cause? I know Mac+'s story is from Australia, but I've seen the sobriety tests blocking intersections in my area (some towns do this much more than others). If you're not driving like you're under the influence, what gives anyone the right to pull you over? I guess the government has finally put the 4th amendment to its final use, birdcage lining material.

I don't DUI, hell, I'm usually the designated driver so I'm not worried about getting caught doing anything illegal. I just wonder what the next step is. If they seriously want to stop DUI, why not place breathalizers at every bar? You don't get your car keys back until you blow < 0.8 or whatever the legal limit is in your area. Certainly makes more sense than setting up checkpoints at the same spots on Friday nights. Drinking friends of mine know where not to drive because the checkpoints are at the same spots week after week.