View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-02, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Hey! Now that explains it! I think that crap set I mentioned probably had Teflon coating, and I could have been confused thinking that anodized aluminum basically made Teflon non-peeling, but it did anyway and I was totally disappointed because I thought anodized aluminum was what I was after (e.g. nonstick cookware that isn't coated at all)
Naw, it's just that anodized Al is tough stuff, but less chemically reactive than stainless steel (ie, crap sticks less). It's also not reactive to acids like raw Al, so you don't get that metallic taste in your food. I have seen Teflon coated anodized Al, but it's worthless, IMO. Stainless (or cast iron) has better heat distribution, but food sticks in a heartbeat requiring more fat/oil; copper has *great* distribution (but is a bitch to keep clean); Teflon wears away with even casual use; borosilicate glass has iffy heat distribution and retention, but looks great.

I completely recommend a range of types of pans for different needs - we just like the Calphalon for everyday cooking.