View Single Post
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-12-01, 02:21

Yeah I can't wait to see what these new Pros will be like. I don't think I'll be getting one, since my Early 08 Mac Pro (2.8 x 8 core) still feels very fast, especially with the recent injection of Vitamin Snow Leopard. And honestly now what needs to happen is that programs need to start using Grand Central Dispatch. I'll get much more mileage out of my current 8 cores that way, as will anybody with 4 or more cores.

But I'm curious to see what Apple is cooking. Sometimes it's an evolution like the current Nehalem machines, but sometimes Apple pulls a kitchen sink and blows everybody away, in super-cooperation with Moore's Law. Hard to say.

These Nehalem Pros are the most expensive Mac Pros, even in a relative sense, they've sold in a long time. I know it's because these Xeons are expensive, and I'm sort of hoping Apple produces a couple models next time, like maybe some that have i9s and some that have Xeons so people can choose to save money at the expense of having the more pedestrian, non-server grade chips.

I'm also wondering if Apple will use these to premiere Light Peak... or USB 3. And I'd also like to see an SSD option, although we don't really need it as we can just throw some SSDs in there after the fact.

I'm also in the camp that thinks the Mac Pro case doesn't really need to be changed. It works really well as is, and Apple usually rightly decides not to change things just for the sake of changing them.