View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-07-14, 19:40

As crazy as it sounds, I can almost imagine Amazon mounting a more serious, credible challenge - or simply offering a viable, almost-as-popular - alternative to the iPad over all these other outfits who've managed to do nothing in almost 18 months of trying (and promising/hyping).

They've already got a foot in the door with the popular, beloved Kindle. And they have the stores and content stuff in place. And that's important for devices like this. They've got a nice leg up on the others.

My friend loves her Kindle. Actually, I have about 3-4 friends with Kindles and you'd think it was their kid or something. They're the very people who might be drawn to an Amazon-branded tablet over an iPad (and certainly any of the others).

I do agree that someone needs to step up and light some flames below Apple's butt. I don't want to see Apple get complacent or lazy and "cruise". If it takes a legit competitor to spur Apple, iOS and the iPad on to even greater heights, I'm all for it.

What I don't care for - and I've made it clear here, plenty - is empty hype and horseshit "threats" from Google, Microsoft and others who couldn't find their butt with both hands and a flashlight these days. Not one of them have done anything other than embarrass themselves the past year or so, IMO, and I get tired of certain websites pulling their pud over the mere mention of some of these "iKillers" (because they never are, and they fade away as fast as they arrive).

I'm more inclined to give Amazon some room and respect, simply because they appear to have a clue or two and are already experiencing legit success and popularity in this realm (handheld, tablet-y kinda stuff).