View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I think the Series 3 is still available at $199.
Yep. Just checked and it is.

So, really, the lineup looks like this:

Series 3: $199
Series 5(SE): $279
Series 6: $399

Yet another in-between (or tail-end) product placement that makes almost no sense. Apple used to be very focused at "This or That", and now they are focused on "This, That, and The Other Thing".

Are the few extra features of the Series 6 worth $120? Are the many extra features of the SE worth $79? Is the Series 3 good enough? Both my wife and daughter have Series 3 models and use them all the time, and both have been very satisfied. In my experience, the cheapest model is the best value, so I have to stick with that. But! $79 for the feature-set of the Series 5 is a very good value. Another $120 for the Series 6 does not seem like it's worth it … unless you're old or have some other ailment where realtime blood oxygen monitoring is actually, you know, necessary? But that also encompasses most of the features of the SE, except for the screen, which may very well be worth $79.

Also, it seems that the sleep thing is a bit too much of a novelty, as the Watch's battery life isn't long enough. It seems you can either wear it during the day and get that info, or during the night and get that. But if you drag it through day and night, you will be out of juice before the next cycle can be run. This makes sense on low-power Fitbit things, but high power devices like Apple Watch? That's just reaching, methinks.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)