View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-05-27, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I'd say side scrolling. Everyone who played it and loved it had it as a side scroller, and those aren't as common any more. Probably get more nostalgia points (and dollars) if you keep in a side scroller.
I guess I'll have to do both...

Zarch / Virus is also another classic, which I think did the best approximation of Defender in 3D.

If we have both then people can choose.
Of course AppleNovians will all get to play-test it. And we can thrash out what the final version is then...

We can then either put it out as two versions, or a two in one.

I think you're probably right about the side scrolling for authenticity though.
Even though personally I am excited to try a proper 3D take. No-one has ever done that justice.

One of my worries is that on the iPhone screen people might not even notice it's done in a pixel art style, and it might just look like 3D sprites if we're not careful. Which is why I was suggesting having a pulled out camera view at a perspective / position that makes it looks exactly like the original video game, but find an excuse to pan the camera around / zoom in to show off it's pixel dot glory.

You've brought up another issue though.. Pricing? Charge or not charge.

Let me make it clear I am doing this for the fun, and to produce something special. Period.
However, I am more than happy for us to charge for it for normal peeps.. Everyone here is free of course.

What I am thinking is that we vote for a charity for 50% of the revenue, and put the other 50% into AN running costs. We can brand it as an AN community project too if people want...

We might only sell a few copies anyway. But if it's super popular it would be nice to do some good with it, and roll some into a nice server package or something for AN.

If anyone, Brad?, wants to chime in with their thoughts, or put up a poll... That would be cool...

I am easy with whatever people here decide, of course.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt