View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-17, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherDave View Post
Really? The TB monitor won't work with just a DP connection? That's lame.
The display does not have a Displayport connection. It's a Thunderbolt connection (for the hub on the back of the display).

Thunderbolt uses the Mini Displayport specification for connection and Displayport for video, while it uses PCIe for data. While a Thunderbolt connector looks like a Mini Displayport connector, they are not the same. TB on a Mac computer supports Displayport through an adapter; Thunderbolt cables do not work with Displayport connectors. In the case of the MacBook, this point is mute, since it uses USB-C, not Thunderbolt. Compatibility between the two is pretty clearly spelled out on the TB Display's tech page:

Quote:
OS X v10.6.8 or later

Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro and iMac. The Apple Thunderbolt Display is not compatible with MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Man, just yesterday I had a friend who bought a new Macbook and a Thunderbolt monitor, only to find out there is apparently NO WAY to connect the two Apple products.

That's right. Your new Apple monitor doesn't work with your new Apple computer. Derrrrrr.
I assume your friend bought the stuff online? I know he doesn't live here in Boise, but had he walked into our shop, we would have made it clear the two are not compatible. However, if he did buy it in a shop, it's pretty clear the sales people have no idea what products they're selling. They should (naturally) return the display due to their oversight.

No offense, but either this is due to the friend's lack of research, or the salesperson's lack of knowledge (or both). That the Thunderbolt Display does not work with the MacBook has been known to us since day one.

Should it work? I don't know the answer to that, but I would hazard a guess the the MacBook's GPU couldn't comfortably handle that display. Also, without Thunderbolt, the hub on the back of the display would just be a bunch of holes collecting dust and spiders.

Anyway, he should take it back.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)