View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-27, 11:21

In the end, the mortality rate of SARS was ~9.5%.

So far, this thing is ~3%.

SARS was going to wipe us off the planet in 2003. But, hey, why change things?

Quote:
People are over-reacting to SARS, creating a worldwide panic that could overwhelm attempts to contain the disease, two of the world's leading virus scientists say. …

… "Obviously, the fear comes from the fact that this is a novel disease. Many aspects of this epidemic are still mysterious," he said. "Fear of SARS is outrunning SARS per se." …

"… The Chinese government was totally irresponsible in covering it up," …

… But while SARS is new and frightening, its impact so far has been minor. In a mild year, influenza and its complications kill an estimated 250,000 people around the world. Malaria kills at least a million, mostly children. …
Etc., etc. I'm pretty sure all of the above quotes were just copy/pasted into the latest media scare-pieces (except that last one, which remains largely ignored because it isn't scary enough.)

Yeah, I admit I don't have a perfect understanding of the virus, but the numbers aren't backing up the panic.

And, yes, governments should cooperate (and have) to help prevent its spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Your comparison is not adding anything to your understanding of this disease
Bruce, I am no expert on the subject, so I figure I have exactly two options:

1) I can remain ignorant, and panic with the rest of the world;

2) I can do a little research and reading and educate myself so that I do not have to panic with the rest of the world.

I choose option 2. I do not need to have a full "scientific" understanding of the virus to recognize FUD when I see it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-02-27 at 15:07.