View Single Post
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-07, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexl911
I'm a dedicated Windows XP power user but in the market for a new laptop for work. Having recently bought an iPod and seeing my friends new 20" G5 iMac has got me thinking about an Apple PowerBook (probably a 12"). I like the Apple philosoply.

Are there any new Mac users out there that have regrets switching from XP? Also, what kind of problems will I have? What am I going to miss? (please no sarcasim) Yeah, I know everyone here LOVES their Mac's but let's face it -in the real world I'm going to have problems running a Mac OS in a XP world (the business world)!

The main use of the laptop will be for demonstrating internet software, running MS Office and Contact Management Software (i.e. Goldmine sales tools). I will not need it for graphics intensive applications.

Thanks for your help!
I use Office commercially with both XP and Mac OS X - it works seamlessly - I have never had any problems with Powerpoint , Word and Excel. Compatibility issues are a thing of the past and certainly for standard software you can ignore them. For specific other apps, I can't say - you'll need to look at them on a case by case basis.

You'll find in general you're more productive on the Mac - the intuitive functionality feeds through to getting things done more quickly and for me time is indeed money. My Mac makes my professional life easier and more efficient.

What do I miss? I haven't in 9 months found a single area of XP itself which I miss in the Mac. This may vary for each individual but for me, both in private and in commercial use, the Mac is a breath of fresh air - it's like coming home.

One thing I do miss is Lotus Notes calendar functionality. Notes calendar function is in my experience easier to use than iCal - though this may be simply because I'm used to it.

If it were my area of responsibility I would consider switching the entire business to Macs where possible - it would give us a commercial advantage we don't currently have.

Others may have different experiences - ask around - but for me, as well as being fun, Macs make sound commercial sense.

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-02-07 at 16:52.