View Single Post
alexl911

2005-02-10, 08:25

Some clarification...

The reason I am looking at a Mac is becasue I think the PowerBooks are very well built and priced competitively with equal Wintel machines. While I like OS X, it's not the main reason I want to switch. Yes, XP sucks but I am sure OS X is not perfect. I would not get any tech support from my company since they all run Wintel machines and in fact the risk is that if I have problems then they could get quite frustrated that I did not just get a 'normal' laptop -i.e. "no one ever got fired for buying an IBM".

I would use the new PowerBook on my home network (801.1g), my desktop is XP Home. I also would have to connect to the internet through customers networks to demo our web software. Is that going to be an issue?

The main use of the notebook would be to demo software and MS Office -can I have an honest opinion about compatibility? How would email from the Mac "sync" with my head office and with PDA devices that run Microsoft.

Also, I noticed that the 12" PowerBook does not have a PCMCIA card slot? I was hoping to use GPRS to get wireless internet and possibly GPS etc. I guess I have no options?

I checked and all the major CRM/Sales Force Automation software does not support Mac (ACT!, Goldmine, Maximizer, etc.) I could use www.salesforce.com which is web based but much more expensive and the whole company would have to switch.

BTW, I live in Germany...

Thanks,
Alex