View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-04, 14:09

...but not in the way you'd expect/hope.

Interesting little story here.

Their catalog is getting released digitally in December, via a USB-based apple (lowercase)...and a limited edition run of only 30,000.

That's either the coolest thing I've ever seen, or the biggest "WTF?!"

I haven't decided yet.

From the article above (some meat 'n' taters specs/info):

Quote:
The product will have a "specifically designed Flash interface" that uses 16GB of capacity to provide the audio in both lossless FLAC 44.1 Khz 24-bit and MP3 320KBps formats. The product, which costs $279.99 or £200.00, is compatible with both PC and Mac.

"This unique, apple-shaped USB drive is loaded with the re-mastered audio for The Beatles' 14 stereo titles, as well as all of the re-mastered CDs' visual elements, including 13 mini-documentary films about the studio albums, replicated original UK art, rare photos and expanded liner notes," the product description states.

On Sept. 9, the same day as the Apple keynote where new iPods were unveiled, The Beatles re-released their entire discography, remastered in stereo. The box set with CDs carries a suggested price of $219, meaning the limited edition USB stick runs with a $50 premium.
I guess you're paying $50 for a cute little packaging idea? While clever and neat, I don't know if it's $50 worth of it. Do the box sets come with the mini-documentaries, art, photo and all the rest? If not, then the $50 makes a bit more sense. If not, then I can't imagine pay $50 for a little green USB apple.

But with just a 30,000 edition run, I'm surprised it's not already sold-out! I know there are 30,000 hardcore Beatle fans with $280 to burn on something like this.