Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 16:17

Or you can just jump in front of one and launch every app in the dock as quickly as you can click the mouse. Yes, I know, that isn't "processing", except that it is. All those apps launch and live in RAM. Do the same thing next to an equivalently equipped Intel machine and you'll start to get it. The M1 launches apps faster (because the SSD is faster), it sorts them faster (because the processor is faster), and it tucks them away and recovers them faster (because the RAM is not only faster, but far more efficient). The entire SOC is ridiculously quick.

The GPU is a tougher test, but it seems to be performing in the same ballpark as the Radeon 5300M in the 16" MBP, which is quite good for an integrated GPU. Considering that system is quite popular amongst creative pro's, I think this first M1 iMac is going to hold its own against a lot of much more expensive stuff.

In our "real world" here at the shop, pretty much everything we do is way faster on the M1 systems than Intel machines, other than software updates, which take a lot longer for some random reason that I'm guessing is [maybe] security related? I.e. all the bits are encrypted? or something. We haven't figured it out, yet.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)