View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-03-02, 19:15

My view is that the rise of Trump reflects an internal contradiction within the Republican Party. Despite having had considerable support among parts of lower-income working voters for the past 40-50 years, the GOP has offered them little other than tax cuts for the wealthy, exporting their jobs overseas, and putting their lives at risk in foreign wars fought for questionable purposes. Trump makes noises that he will change that. While his candidacy might make the Republican establishment fearful, the establishment is no longer in control. That Trump combines his promise for change with hints of xenophobia, racism, and totalitarianism does not seem to have hurt him. I am not sure that Trump actually is personally a fascist, but I think that it is more likely that he is a salesman that is using an overlay of facism as a campaign ploy. I also doubt that he actually is in a position to deliver much, if anything, for the people who support him. I think that he would largely be an ineffectual boob as President.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.