View Single Post
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-05-11, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
There's no way.

Too many politicians wanting to cover their own asses on this one.

As long as Republican town hall meetings continue to be filled with angry constituents, you're going to find Republicans defecting from voting for the GOP healthcare bills. (IMO)

I hope to god I'm not wrong.
Well it has passed the House so far and articles about early price increase requests for ACA compatible plans available for this next cycle show massive price increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Hmm.

Well I can now see that Nick was probably right: Trump is absolutely, hands down, the most brilliant political tactician the world, nay, the Universe has ever seen. He doesn't like the work involved in the presidency, his family has profited massively over the last several months and I figure he figures an impeachment will take up to a year all the while he is still president and collecting the fringe benefits; he gets to resign in disgrace but the contracts inked by his family will have netted them billions. Laughing to the bank while the US burns.
It is just funny to watch the competing movies play side by side with each other. I vote Libertarian and have no vested interest in Trump. That said it isn't hard to see how he isn't going to be impeached by this or how suggesting such a thing is even remotely sane.

Let's recall the last time an attempted impeachment occurred. Republicans BARELY passed the resolutions for them even with Republican control and during a lame duck session of Congress. Clinton had actually committed crimes that cost him his law license in Arkansas and resigned rather than risk being disbarred.

So I understand that MSNBC and CNN have hours of Trump hate to fill each day, but seriously, the GOP isn't going to burn down their own president nor do they have reason to do so. There is nothing within their base that believes any of the Russian stuff. Likewise for the independents, they've listened to Democrats call for Comey's head for months and claim that Comey meddling cost Clinton the election. So per their reasoning, right or wrong, Trump just fired the guy who handed him the win or who seemed out to get.....Democrats at a minimum. It was also the recommendation of the Deputy Attorney General.

Then add it is the end of the school year, nearly Memorial Day and no one but the political wonks care about this stuff. I know things like that aren't pure reasoning or logical but I gave up on the public being that a long time ago.

Now finally....let's get wonky and ponder....what are the alternatives? All my Democratic friends declared that Pence was so terrible that they hypothesized that Trump picked him as to make sure he would never be impeached because Pence is so conservative that he terrifies them. Think about who a President Pence would be nominating to the Supreme Court? Pence actually acts and looks competent. Pence can speak coherently. Pence knows how to work with Congress because he was in Congress and also a governor as well.

Do we ignore that and just think about who the Democrats would pick next round? No matter what it has to be said that Clinton was a terrible candidate and most people have seen little to no change in the DNC and the party since the last election. It is clear Clinton rigged the game and no matter what you think about Trump and his potential corruption, it is clear that if the party officials and candidates are willing to rig the primary, they are willing to rig the country in terms of daily operations. If they can't trust their own people to select a candidate then how will they ever trust the entire American electorate. I've seen nothing done to address these matters. Clinton lost in part because the party just didn't turn out for her. Doubling down on condescension, smugness and a process that is secretive and manipulated just makes sure the losing streak continues.