View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-19, 14:13

Nobody's calling for "recede into the background completely" black glass Macs.

You'll likely get your Easter egg iMacs tomorrow, don't worry.

And it'll brighten everyone's existence.

I do think a tweaked aluminum, slightly darker (but not even Space Grey dark, mind you) makes a hell of a lot more sense than an array of colors on a product that you only really see the stand/base of. If someone can make a good, sensible case for colors on a computer where only about 10-15% of it is visible in the majority of scenarios, hey...I'm all ears. Because I've yet to hear one (and, no..."just because it would look totally bitchin' and sick AF when I'm standing behind it, connecting cables 1-2 times a year" isn't a reason).

As for portable devices - the Air and Pro notebooks - having them in multiple shades seems a little silly too. Like iPhones (and iPads) they make fitted, protective cases for those...allowing owners to both protect their $999+ investments and give them whatever color/design/look they like (solid, opaque, translucent, patterns, artwork, etc.). Apple, for the sake of manufacturing and logistics, should produce a stylish, attractive "blank canvas", a single Mac color, and let the user do whatever-the-hell they want to snazz it up, non-permanently, to their tastes. And, when those tastes change, as they often do with people (I'm on a lime/chartreuse kick of late, but I wouldn't want a laptop that I might own for 3-6 years in that color; but I might buy a fitted case/cover for it if I wanted my MacBook to look like Dick Dale's Stratocaster), you go buy another $29 cover/case. You're not stuck with a $1,799 laptop in a color you wish you hadn't gone for two years ago. I know for a fact that happens because I know a couple of these folks.

Or they can just forever chase their tail, trying to predict color trends from now until the end of time, knowing that if they botch it or calculate wrong, they've got a shitload of unsold computers in a color(s) that it turns out nobody really wanted to own. That's a big roll of the dice when you're manufacturing hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of high-end devices. I'd yank that variable out of the mix entirely and make that part of the manufacturing process a non-issue.

"You can have it in any color you like, as long as it's Tungsten." (my name for the theoretical new M1 Mac hue).

It will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow, because the rumors and "leaks" are all over the place. If they go with colors, are they dark and rich (like Indigo, Ruby, etc.) or light and pastel? Or fruity, in a nod to 1998-1999? Does aluminum take various shades as well as glossy, translucent plastic? If we're seeing some redesigned, next-generation iMac tomorrow will it be designed in some way where more of the rumored coloring would be visible? Because all I've heard for a year now is how the bezel/chin are getting smaller (or going away), which takes a lot of space for showing off color out of the mix. There just doesn't seem to a be a ton of visible real estate on a modern iMac to feature color, which is why I'm having trouble buying into that particular rumor. A jellybean design? Absolutely. Nothing but visible surface area on those...glossy, translucent and rounded too, which only helped make them look so yummy and eye-catching. Modern, flat-panel iMacs are a completely different animal...rarely seen from the rear, and there's really no side to speak of. The biggest place to feature color happens to be the part that often - usually? - faces a wall.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-19 at 15:13.